Growing my own herbs has been on my mind since I can remember. Well, really since a couple months ago. Having fresh basil or cilantro right at my fingertips would be simply spectacular.
I didn’t really know where to buy the seeds, how to grow them or even how to take care of them. So I did what any 20-something year old does and bought a little pot of cilantro at Whole Foods.
It died 2 days later.
You see, cilantro plants only need to be watered once a week, if that. They almost thrive on thirst. I mistakenly thought Whole Foods hadn’t recently watered my plant. But they had. Probably on the same day I bought it. And I just drowned it.
Sooo, take some tips from a plant-killer like me:
- Water the plant ONLY when the soil is dry
- Give it some sun for 4-5 hours a day
- Also give it some shade (it likes to be calm, cool and collected – don’t make the poor guy sweat)
- To harvest: pinch portions of the upper stem once it’s about 6 inches tall
- Try the flowers, they’re edible
Have you tried growing an herb before? Share your experience in comment section!